Aug 11, 2016

Quilling Love Birds Anniversary Card

quiling bird anniversary greeting card

My friends celebrated their 15th anniversary recently, and this is the card I quilled for the love birds. I didn't have time to capture the entire process, but thought I'd show a bit of how I work anyway.

Instead of using standard quilling paper, I decided to cut them 1/4-inch wide out of Canson Mi-Tientes paper, using an electric cutting machine (such as Cricut Explore or Silhouette Cameo / SD). I enjoyed quilling with the substantially thicker paper (160 gsm), and I really liked how all the colors went so well together, especially how the colors are earthy without being drab.

To create the tiniest coils, I used a quilling needle, but I always pre-soften the paper strip beforehand to soften the fibers.

As you can see in the video, I am using a crochet hook to rub the paper into the shape I want for the dragonfly. I prefer using the greater circumference of a crochet hook rather than a quilling needle because I want a gentle and soft curve. A quilling needle could also be used if you prefer.



Please leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you enjoyed this video, please do take the time to give it a thumbs up.

... and a shot of my messy desk after I'm done a project.

quilling, card, bird, messy, paper


Thanks for watching!

Cecelia Louie
Paper Zen

10 comments:

  1. They must have loved this...............how thoughtful of you!! It is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they did Four11Lady! Thank you! I really enjoyed making it for them. Somehow it doesn't seem like work when you think of how they're going to receive it, right?

      Delete
  2. GORGEOUS and so ELEGANT!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw THANKS Jan! I learn so much each time I tackle a project.
      Cecelia

      Delete
  3. This is just beautiful, the colors and shapes are wonderful together. Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Wyn! Happy to hear you're inspired!

      Delete
  4. AT LAST!!!!!! I have been searching for months to try to find someone to show me how its all done. This is just beautiful and I cant wait to try out some quilling. Thank you so much. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lesley, I'm SO happy to see you found my blog! Thanks so much for becoming a reader. I hope to see your quilling masterpieces one day.

      Another video I made that you might enjoy is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7KbtQYqG9w

      Happy quilling!
      Cecelia

      Delete
  5. How sweet! They really look like they are in love. Thanks. I'm going to give them a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia! Thanks so much for your kind words! Please come back and let me know how it goes for you!

      Cecelia

      Delete